To be eligible to practice as a Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) in Alberta, you must meet registration requirements to obtain a practice permit/license from the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Alberta (CRPNA).
Requirements for registration as a RPN in Alberta are established in the Registered Psychiatric Nurses Profession Regulation, which falls under the Health Professions Act (HPA). They include:
- Graduated from an approved psychiatric nursing education program within the last four (4) years
- Passed the Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Canada (RPNC) Examination
- Have been employed in the practice of psychiatric nursing or its equivalent for at least 1400 hours in the past five (5) years
- Successfully completed an approved psychiatric nursing refresher education program within the past three (3) years
- Competent to practice psychiatric nursing
- Evidence of good character
- Sufficiently proficient in the English language to be able to provide professional services in English - click on document link below to determine English Language proficiency. Applicants may be required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language.
- Currently registered in good standing in another jurisdiction and have substantially equivalent registration requirements
To apply select one of the following:
New Psychiatric Nurse Graduates
Internationally Educated Psychiatric Nurses
Information about an application will ONLY be discussed with the applicant.