Sign in using your user name and password.

If you experience any issues signing in please Contact Us .

Professional Liability Insurance (PLI)

If you are employed by either Alberta Health Services (AHS) and/or Covenant Health and/or Bethany Group and/or Bayshore Health and/or MacEwan University and/or CASA, please be advised that CRPNA has already attained the required proof from these employers that their RPN employees have the required type and amount of Professional Liability Insurance (PLI), therefore please select  “Yes I declare that I have $2,000,000 in Professional Liability Insurance through my employer, or Private Insurance provider” during registration renewal.  




Alberta Health Services (AHS) and Covenant Health both large Alberta employers have adequate coverage for all nursing employees, and they confirm this coverage directly to the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Alberta (CRPNA) annually during renewal.  Bethany Group, Bayshore Health, MacEwan University and CASA also confirm adequate coverage annually.  If you are employed as a psychiatric nurse, then your employer may, and most probably will, have coverage that covers staff, including psychiatric nurses.  You are responsible for confirming that this coverage meets the requirements of the CRPNA.  The CRPNA requires any PLI policy to be a least $2 million in coverage.  


If you are concerned that you may not have adequate coverage under your current employer you may choose to purchase additional coverage of your own, this coverage can be through any insurance provider that has policies for Professional Liability Protection.  You can also purchase coverage through the Canadian Nurses Protective Society which provides professional liability protection related to nursing practice.  Professional liability or “errors and omissions” coverage generally extends to claims for professional negligence, excluding intentional torts, defamation, etc.  These additional protections may however be available with extended/supplementary protection insurance.    


There are many nuances when it comes to PLP/PLI/E&O insurance and it would be very wise to seek out an industry specific expert to ask to have all your questions answered about whether or not you need additional insurance, what is included and what is excluded.  PLP like in homeowner’s insurance, has things that are covered and there are also things that are excluded.   As a professional you may also want to consider if you want to acquire a supplemental policy as any PLP/PLI/E&O policy does not cover disciplinary action through a regulatory body. 



Professional Liability Insurance can be acquired under a few different names such as:

  • Professional Liability Protection (PLP) or
  • Errors and Omissions (E & O) Protection Insurance or
  • Professional Liability Insurance (PLI)

All regulated members (excluding not practicing members) must hold Professional Liability Insurance. This is a requirement under the Health Professions Act (HPA) and the CRPNA Regulations. 


Sign In