Professional Liability Insurance (PLI)

If you are employed by any of the employers listed below, CRPNA has already attained the required proof from these employers that their RPN employees have the required type and amount of Professional Liability Insurance (PLI), therefore please select  “Yes I declare that I have $2,000,000 in Professional Liability Insurance through my employer, or Private Insurance provider” during registration renewal.  

  • Agecare
  • Alberta Health Services including: Carewest, Capital Care Group, Correctional Services Alberta
  • Bethany Group
  • CASA
  • Covenant Health
  • Government of Nunavut
  • MacEwan University
  • Qualicare Health Services Corporation Including: Jubliee Lodge Nursing Home, Northcott Lodge Nursing Home, Rivercrest Lodge Nursing Home, Citalcare Centre
  • Saskatchewan Health Authority (Lloydminster)
  • Bayshore Health Care
  • Covenant Health Care 
  • Extendicare
  • Nurse Next Door Calgary
  • Revera Inc.
  • Ohana Care


If you are employed as a psychiatric nurse by an employer not listed above, your employer may and most probably will, have coverage that covers its staff, including psychiatric nurses.  It is your responsibility to confirm that these other employer’s coverage meets the requirements of the CRPNA. The CRPNA requires any PLI policy to be a least $2 million in coverage.


If you are concerned that you may not have adequate coverage under your current employer you may choose to purchase additional coverage of your own, this coverage can be through any insurance provider that has policies for Professional Liability Protection.  You can also purchase coverage through the Canadian Nurses Protective Society which provides professional liability protection related to nursing practice.  Professional liability or “errors and omissions” coverage generally extends to claims for professional negligence, excluding intentional torts, defamation, etc.  These additional protections may however be available with extended/supplementary protection insurance. 


There are many nuances when it comes to PLP/PLI/E&O insurance and it would be very wise to seek out an industry specific expert to ask to have all your questions answered about whether or not you need additional insurance, what is included and what is excluded.  PLP like in homeowner’s insurance, has things that are covered and there are also things that are excluded.   As a professional you may also want to consider if you want to acquire a supplemental policy, as any PLP/PLI/E&O policy does not cover disciplinary action through a regulatory body. 



Professional Liability Insurance can be acquired under a few different names such as:

  • Professional Liability Protection (PLP) or

  • Errors and Omissions (E & O) Protection Insurance or

  • Professional Liability Insurance (PLI)

All regulated members (excluding not practicing members) must hold Professional Liability Insurance. This is a requirement under the Health Professions Act (HPA) and the CRPNA Regulations.