The College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Alberta (CRPNA) is the professional regulatory body for registered psychiatric nurses in Alberta; it currently regulates over 1,300 registered psychiatric nurses in Alberta.
To be eligible to practice as a Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) in Alberta, you must meet registration requirements to obtain a practice permit/license from the College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Alberta (CRPNA).
Requirements for registration as a Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) in Alberta are established in the Registered Psychiatric Nurses Profession Regulation, which falls under the Health Professions Act. They include:
- graduated within the last four years from an approved psychiatric nursing education program
- have been employed in the practice of psychiatric nursing or its equivalent for at least 1400 hours in the past 5 years
- successfully completed an approved psychiatric nursing refresher education program within the past three years
- passing the Canadian Registered Psychiatric Nurse Examination
- competent to practice psychiatric nursing
- English language proficiency requirements
- evidence of good character
There are 4 applicant streams:
For further information regarding assessment and application for registration with CRPNA please proceed to “International Credential Assessment” and “Application for Licensure - Registration"
- New Graduates of an approved Psychiatric Nurse program in Alberta
- RPNs returning to practice that were previously licensed in Alberta
- RPNs currently licensed to practice in another Province in Canada
- International Applicants currently licensed outside Canada (applicants that graduated from a psychiatric nursing program outside Canada must undergo an assessment of their international education credentials prior to applying for registration/licensure)
Becoming a Registered Psychiatric Nurse
Requisite Skills & Abilities Needed To Become A Registered Psychiatric Nurse in Alberta
- Click here to view the release
- Click here to view the document
International Credential Assessment
Application for Licensure - Registration